Whenever starting a new lawn from seed, it is highly recommended to cover all improved bare soil/seed planted areas with germination blanket for best results. Seed germination blanket is a bio-degradable, wood fiber stranded mat-like material that is sold by the roll (4′ or 8′ wide x 150’+/- long) and often times includes nylon netting for strength. Use germination blanket to cover any/all large seed planted bare soil areas. For smaller lawn repairs (+/- 10 square feet), a simple peat moss covering is still preferred.
Here are a few reasons why you should use seed germination blanket when planting a new lawn from seed.
- Protect newly planted seed from blowing wind, feeding birds and even heavy rain down pours.
- Steel staples (4″ to 6″ long) provide secure attachment of blanket to soil below.
- Reduce air-borne weed seed from ever contacting soil.
- Great soil erosion protection (prior to grass establishment in particular).
- Achieve fantastic seed germination rates!
- Clean overall appearance.
- New grass grows directly through blanket covering, no need to remove.
- Retains water to further aid in seed germination/plant root development.
- Unwanted debris can be easily blown off blanket covering with little chance of seed disturbance.
Please be sure to contact Pacocha Landscaping Services, Inc. with any questions or if there is anything we can do to be of additional help. Thank you for visiting!